This edition of Wormfood is full of truly amazing news stories after a very active couple of weeks. Many noteworthy poitical and global events are covered, as well as several key science, health, and technology updates, all found below!
- A new asteroid-mining company launches Tuesday with the goal of helping humanity expand across the solar system by tapping the vast riches of space rocks.
- North Korea said on Thursday it would carry out further rocket launches and a nuclear test that would target the United States, dramatically stepping up its threats against a country it called its "sworn enemy".
- Obama finally emerges as a climate proponent. His pathways require consideration of sustainability complexity
- Quebec will, before summer, become the first province in Canada to “legalize” physician-assisted death. It’s a welcome development, because Canada is "a dismal place to die, criminally lacking in decent palliative care and mired in a legislative bog", says Andre Picard of the Gobe and Mail.
Business & Economy
- Workplace mental health guide sets national standard. The Canadian Labour Code already addresses bullying and sexual harassment, but the new standard gives more support to employers and employees to make their workplaces better
- British Prime Minister David Cameron called Thursday for a global effort to clamp down on tax avoidance by businesses and more urgent efforts to stimulate global trade.
- V3Solar's Spin Cell Cones Could Produce Electricity for the Insanely Low Cost of Eight Cents per kWh
Energy & Environment
Science, Technology, & Design
- The World’s First 3D-Printed Building Will Arrive In 2014
- As of July, all shops and offices in Francewill have to shut off their lights at night, under a government decree issued on Wednesday.
Unexpected and Intriguing
- Why you should not have a cat. Its a perhaps unexpected impact.
- Reuters photographer Goran Tomasevic returned to Syria earlier this month, where he has been traveling the war-torn streets of Damascus with the Free Syrian Army.
This bi-weekly digest is made by assembling items from all of Except’s people. Have questions, comments, or news items to suggest? E-mail email@example.com. Read past Wormfood global news reports here.